JEANNETTE ADAMS GORMAN
Jeannette is a founding member of Socius Law Group and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She previously served as the firm’s Managing Partner in 2012 and 2013. Jeannette focuses on employment and labor law, employment litigation and related business matters. She counsels and represents employers on personnel and employment law issues to help foster productive and high-performing workplaces. Employers rely on her for practical guidance in wage and hour issues, discipline and discharge, disability accommodation, and compliance with laws prohibiting discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Jeannette prepares employment contracts, employee handbooks, non-competition and confidentiality agreements for employers as well as other employment policies and procedures. She also investigates employee complaints of sexual or other harassment on behalf of the employer or as an independent third party and counsels employers on human resources and labor relations issues. In addition, she represents employers in agency investigations and in litigation involving harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, employment contracts, and wage and hour issues. Jeannette also advises and represents employers and employees on non-competition covenants and related litigation, and negotiates the terms of employment agreements and departure agreements on behalf of both employers and employees.
Jeannette has tried cases to juries in both federal and state courts. This trial experience makes her a highly effective counselor when advising employers about employment issues that could lead to litigation.
Jeannette was named to the Super Lawyers® list in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, a designation reserved for fewer than five percent of all lawyers in Washington State. Jeannette previously was included on the Rising Stars list nine consecutive years and she was named by Puget Sound Business Journal as one of 2011’s “40 Under 40” business leaders in the Puget Sound area.
- Regularly advises employers on human resources issues and prepares written policies and employee handbooks for employers
- Counsels employers to reduce the risk of employee claims of wrongful termination or discrimination
- Represents employers in EEOC, Washington State Human Rights Commission and Washington State Department of Labor and Industries investigations
- Regularly represents employers seeking to enforce non-compete agreements with former employees
- Negotiates the terms of employment and departure agreements on behalf of both employers and employees
- Works with employers to ensure their compliance with wage and hour laws and proper classification of employees as exempt or nonexempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Reviews employment practices of target companies in mergers and acquisitions and advises clients regarding successor business risks
- Advises and represents employers in labor relations issues, including collective bargaining negotiations and grievance arbitrations
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D.
- University of Washington, B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy Northwest Regional Program
- The Center for American and International Law, Labor Law and Labor Arbitration
MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
- Top 50 Women Washington Super Lawyers® list 2016
- Super Lawyers® list, 2014 through 2017
- Rising Stars list, 2004 through 2012
- Puget Sound Business Journal “40 Under 40” 2011
- Washington State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law section member
- King County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law section member
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Labor and Employment Law section member
- Seattle Executives Association Member, Member of the Board of Directors
- Chair of the Washington State Bar Association’s Employment Law Bootcamp Continuing Legal Education Seminar, February 2009, July 2011 and July 2012
- Co-presenter at the Washington State Bar Association’s 15th Annual Employment Law Institute Continuing Legal Education Seminar on the topic of enforceability of non-competition and other restrictive covenants, April 2008.
- Workshop facilitator and interactive coach of the King County Bar Association’s Trial Advocacy Workshop, October 2004.