RONALD D. ALLEN
A practicing lawyer for 27 years, Ron handles a broad range of real estate and general business transactions for both individuals and institutions.
In the real estate area, Ron regularly represents purchasers, sellers, developers, landlords, tenants and lenders in commercial real estate transactions. He has extensive experience counseling clients on site acquisition, entity selection, financing, construction, leasing and re-sale. He frequently advises clients in connection with real estate with known or suspected environmental risks, including allocating environmental risk among buyers and sellers. Ron has handled transactions involving retail, office, industrial, multifamily, and mixed use projects, including condominium developments and conversions.
In the business area, Ron handles the full spectrum of corporate and business transactions, including asset and equity transfers, entity structure (including joint venture structuring and financing in the real property development context) and governance. He has lived, studied, and worked in Japan; traveled extensively in Asia; and represented a number of Asian investors with U.S. business interests.
Ron’s achievements have been recognized by Super Lawyers® magazine, which has named him as a Super Lawyer® each year from 2004-2018. This is a designation reserved for fewer than five percent of all lawyers in Washington State. Ron was named as a Top 40 Real Estate Super Lawyer® in 2008 and 2009, the two years the designation existed, and has received the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbel Law Directory.
- Represented several shopping center developers in all facets of regional power center developments, including site acquisition and environmental analysis; drafting and negotiation of ground leases, build-to-suit leases and shopping center covenants; and pad sales
- Represented seller of entire Seattle city block in IRC 1031 exchange transaction, including successful allocation of responsibility for known and suspected environmental conditions
- Represented developer of large, in-city mixed use project in project financing, development, and leasing. Eventually represented developer in sale of project to condominium developer, including allocation of responsibility for ongoing obligations under applicable condominium legislation
- Represented owners in Seattle condominium conversions, both before and after 2005 legislative amendments
- Represented owner of 400,000+ square foot warehouse complex in sale to multinational property management firm
- Represented numerous borrowers and lenders in all facets of secured and unsecured commercial lending transactions
- Represented several borrowers in loan defeasance transactions, in connection with sale and refinance of encumbered properties
- Negotiated leases and other real estate-related agreements with numerous national and regional retailers, including Home Depot, Fred Meyer, Kohl’s, AT&T, Sprint and many national restaurant chains, banks and grocers
Ron lives with his wife on Bainbridge Island, where he is active in the local community. He and his family enjoy travel, water sports, downhill skiing and other outdoor activities.
- Washington College of Law of the American University in Washington, D.C., J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Washington School of Law
- University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire, B.A., summa cum laude
MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
- Washington State Bar Association
- AV Preeminent® rating, Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Avvo “Excellent” rating
- King County Bar Association
- Seattle Executives Association Member
- Super Lawyers® list, 2004 through 2018
- Top 40 Real Estate Super Lawyers list, Washington Law & Politics magazine
- Bainbridge Island Children’s Museum Volunteer
- Bainbridge Island Little League and Traveling Team Coach
- President, Seattle Executives’ Association (2017)