REUBEN J. ORTEGA
Reuben is an entrepreneur at heart. With over 10 years of legal experience, his work includes mergers and acquisitions, corporate funding, corporate governance, public and private securities offerings, privacy regulation and early-stage corporate formations and financings.
Reuben started his legal career as a corporate attorney at one of the Pacific Northwest’s leading law firms, representing public and private companies, entrepreneurs and investors. He has also worked as a business consultant and as outside general counsel, overseeing and managing a broad array of legal matters for his clients, including contract negotiation, securities compliance, privacy regulation, board governance and strategic new business development (e.g., partnerships and licensing opportunities).
Reuben advises clients in a wide variety of sectors, including cleantech, energy manufacturing, health care, consumer goods and e-commerce. His holistic and personal approach to practice finds him engaged in long-term relationships with clients, representing them from formation through a sale and onto their next venture.
Some examples of the many mergers, acquisitions and corporate transactions in which Reuben has assisted are:
- Advised a local aircraft hardware supplier in an asset sale to an out-of-state, publicly traded aerospace competitor
- Advised an online business in connection with Series A financing from a national venture capital firm, providing workshops in photography, video, web and graphic design and application development
- Advised a specialty pasta, soup and sauce manufacturing company in the recapitalization of the business and the sale of a controlling interest to a local family investment office
- Represented a northwest marketing and marketing consulting company in an all-stock merger with a local marketing company
- Advised a leading producer of pizza crusts and custom flour blended products in its sale to a Texas-based food manufacturer
- Represented a start-up data transfer company in various equity investment transactions from both domestic and international strategic investors
- Advised a court-appointed general receiver in a series of transactions involving the liquidation of assets held by 31 radio stations in Washington, Oregon and Alaska
- Advised a Seattle coffee shop and bean wholesaler in its purchase, rebranding and licensing of five coffee shop locations in and around Boise, Idaho
- Advised a publicly held apparel company with the strategic acquisition of a Massachusetts-based headwear and apparel company
- Advised a family-owned health care agency in the sale of its in-home services business to a private, out-of-state group with locations in California, Idaho, Washington and Alaska
- Represented a Washington-based internet service provider in the negotiation and sale to an international telecommunication giant
- Negotiated the strategic acquisition of a South Sound legal service provider and the associated commercial property, including the creation and structuring of operating and property management companies and ensuring the proper transition of client services
Reuben grew up in rural Idaho as the son of a migrant farmworker. In his free time, Reuben finds joy in serving his community alongside his wife and four children. He also enjoys reading an engaging science-fiction series, camping in the Olympic National Forest, playing a retro video game or a competitive game of chess, and training in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu.
- University of Iowa, College of Law, J.D., Boyd Service Award, with Highest Honors for Community Service
- Brigham Young University – Idaho, B.S.
MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
- Rising Stars, 2013-2014, 2017-2019
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Latina/o Bar Association of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Seattle Children’s Museum Volunteer (former Board of Directors Member)
- Boy Scouts of America, Charter Organization Representative
- King County Bar Association Neighborhood Legal Clinics Volunteer