CHARLES W. DAVIS
Charlie has been assisting families and regional businesses with estate planning, tax and business issues for many years. These matters often involve complex federal and state tax issues.
Charlie represents business owners and entities, many of them industry leaders, in connection with the transfer of business interests to younger generation family members, business sales and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, and the design of employment and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements for owners and executives.
Charlie also designs estate plans, in many instances for clients whose estates include business interests and which present unique challenges. Much of his work involves strategies that meet client and extended family needs while minimizing or eliminating federal and state estate and generation-skipping taxes.
For fourteen consecutive years, Charlie has been named to the Super Lawyers list by Super Lawyers® magazine, a designation reserved for fewer than five percent of all lawyers in Washington State. This designation is given to those who received the greatest point total in the magazine’s balloting, research and blue ribbon review process.
- Regularly advises clients concerning the design of business entities, exit strategies, and employment and deferred compensation arrangements
- Designs estate plans for clients in settings involving gift and estate tax issues as well as business succession issues
Charlie and his wife, Julie, who are now “empty nesters” live in Edmonds. When not in the office, Charlie likes to head for the outdoors with his family. In addition to hiking and camping, he enjoys steelhead fishing, particularly expeditions in early winter to northern British Columbia.
- Clerk, United States Tax Court – Washington D.C. 1980-1981
- Georgetown University Law Center, L.L.M. in Taxation 1980
- Tulane University, J.D. 1979
- Amherst College, B.A. 1976
MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- AV Preeminent® rating, Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Super Lawyers® list 2005-2018
- Former Member of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Planned Giving Committee
- Pro Bono legal services through Open Door Legal Services and WSBA