Ronald D. Allen
Real Estate, Business, Environmental
A practicing lawyer for 18 years, Ron handles a broad range of real estate and general business transactions for both individuals and institutions.
In the real estate area, Ron regularly represents purchasers, sellers, developers, landlords, tenants and lenders in commercial real estate transactions. He has extensive experience counseling clients on site acquisition, entity selection, financing, construction, leasing and re-sale. He frequently advises clients in connection with real estate with known or suspected environmental risks, including allocating environmental risk among buyers and sellers. Ron has handled transactions involving retail, office, industrial, multifamily, and mixed use projects, including condominium developments and conversions.
In the business area, Ron handles the full spectrum of corporate and business transactions, including asset and equity transfers, entity structure (including joint venture structuring and financing in the real property development context) and governance. He has lived, studied, and worked in Japan; traveled extensively in Asia; and represented a number of Asian investors with U.S. business interests.
Ron’s achievements have been recognized by Super Lawyers® magazine, which has named him as a Super Lawyer® each year from 2004-2011. This is a designation reserved for fewer than five percent of all lawyers in Washington State. Ron was named as a Top 40 Real Estate Super Lawyer® from 2007 through 2011.
- Represented several shopping center developers in all facets of regional power center developments, including site acquisition and environmental analysis; drafting and negotiation of ground leases, build-to-suit leases and shopping center covenants; and pad sales
- Represented seller of entire Seattle city block in IRC 1031 exchange transaction, including successful allocation of responsibility for known and suspected environmental conditions
- Represented developer of large, in-city mixed use project in project financing, development, and leasing. Eventually represented developer in sale of project to condominium developer, including allocation of responsibility for ongoing obligations under applicable condominium legislation
- Represented owners in Seattle condominium conversions, both before and after 2005 legislative amendments
- Represented owner of 400,000+ square foot warehouse complex in sale to multinational property management firm
- Represented several borrowers in loan defeasance transactions, in connection with sale and refinance of encumbered properties
- Negotiated leases and other real estate-related agreements with numerous national and regional retailers, including Home Depot, Fred Meyer, Kohl’s, AT&T, Sprint and many national restaurant chains, banks and grocers
Ron lives with his wife and their two daughters on Bainbridge Island, where he is active in the local community. He and his family enjoy travel, water sports, downhill skiing and other outdoor activities.
Washington College of Law of the American University in Washington, D.C., J.D., magna cum laude
University of Washington School of Law
University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire, B.A., summa cum laude
MEMBERSHIPS & RECOGNITION
Washington State Bar Association
AV Preeminent rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
King County Bar Association
Seattle Executives Association Member
Super Lawyer® 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011
Top 40 Real Estate Super Lawyer® 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011
Susan G. Komen Foundation, Volunteer and Fundraiser
Bainbridge Island Children’s Museum Volunteer
Bainbridge Island Little League Coach